Having regular massage is a great way to maintain your health and wellbeing. A holistic massage in Westbury-on-Trym every three - six weeks can help to release chronic tensions, ease your mind and soothe your soul.
But what about the rest of the time? You only spend an hour or two a month on the massage couch so what can you do in between sessions to aid your wellbeing?
After sessions of holistic massage in Westbury-on-Trym, I always offer clients aftercare - usually in the form of stretches or relaxation techniques. These can be a great support, and, there are also lots of ways you can give massage to yourself. As well as releasing tension, showing your body that you are aware of its aches and pains and will love and care for it has great psychological and emotional benefits too.
1. The simplest way is to apply pressure with your hands; press your thumb into that sore spot on your neck, squeeze the tension in the arm with your fingers, use your elbow to lean into tension in your hand, leg or foot. These are all great - but you won't get to your back or glutes that way, and this is often where we feel the most tension.
2. There are lots of massage tools available - spikey rubber balls, foam rollers, metal frames with balls that you can press into your back, frames with attachments you hook over your shoulder to get into the muscles under your shoulder blades - these are all great options and worth exploring. With the balls and foam rollers, you need to apply pressure through leaning onto them or, in the case of the balls, pressing them into the affected areas.
3. But if you want to keep it really simple, get a tennis ball and a sock and lean against the wall. You use the sock to get the ball into the place you want, press against it, and so ease the tension in your back and shoulders.
4. Even easier, sit or lie on a tennis or golf ball. This way you can give pressure to the sore spots on your lower back, glutes and piriformis, which lies underneath the gluetal muscles. Anyone who sits or drives a lot will have tension here. I do this every morning and it's great! It's a great complement to having holistic massage in Westbury-on-Trym.
5. If you have access to a jacuzzi, lean the tight places in your back and glutes into the jets. The intensity of the water pressure is very releasing. I do this whenever I'm at the spa, it really helps!
Muscles are controlled and animated by nerves - so anything you can do to help your nervous system relax will also aid in muscular self-care; have a bath, go for a walk, have a laugh with friends, get a good night's sleep - and take life a little more lightly, like our canine friend here, wonderfully demonstrating the joys of a head massage tool!